There are a lot of great benefits to having a fireplace in your home. It can be a great place to get warm in the winter and spend time with family and friends. Just like with any appliance you have in your home, your chimney will sometimes need maintenance, cleaning or repair to it. When you notice any of the signs listed below, it is time to call a reputable chimney cleaning Maryland, like the one found at www.completechimneys.com.
Burning Wood Smell
One of the first signs you may need to call a specialist is when you are smelling a burning wood odor when you are not using the chimney. When you smell this, it means you have some creosote building up that needs to be removed. It is important to get this cleaned up. Leaving creosote to build up can lead to chimney fires.
Smoke Coming Into Home
When you use your fireplace, the smoke is supposed to go up the chimney and outside. If you start noticing some of the smoke is backtracking into your home, it could be a small fire in your chimney. This is usually caused by too much creosote in your chimney walls. It will need to be thoroughly cleaned by a professional before you use it again.
Trouble Starting A Fire
When you find your fires are harder to start and burn slower, you may need to get the chimney cleaned. Typically, a clog or obstruction will result in smaller fires or ones that are harder to start. You will need your chimney swept or cleaned.
If you find rust on your damper or firebox, you need to investigate what is causing it. Moisture is usually the culprit that leads to rust and there should never be excess moisture in your chimney.
These are just a couple of signs your chimney needs to be cleaned or serviced by a professional chimney company. Leaving creosote or obstructions in your chimney could be dangerous and result in a fire that is not contained correctly. Always call on a professional for help.